Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mark 10:8-9

Here again are the Pharisees trying to trap Jesus in doctrine by questioning Him about divorse. But of course, Jesus replies with beautiful and pure doctrine:

“And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.”

I looked up the meaning of “twain” and it is simply “two”. So I would translate this to say:

“And the two of them will become one being. So you can hardly tell the two of them apart, because they are so unified.”

How great is that? Right now, being unmarried at 24, I think a lot about marriage. I am anxious to be married – but I am even more anxious to be with a man who “fits” with me. It seems that every man I have dated in the past, that we have been “twain” and not “one flesh.”

I believe this would have been kind of shocking news at the time it was given. This was a time when men ran the show and men and women were not viewed as equals. I can imagine these Pharisees scoffing at Jesus at the thought of becoming as one with their wives, and women in general.

But now that I think about it – maybe this is my problem. When I date guys I never begin by considering us equals. It is either that he is so much better than me, or I am so much better than him. All those comparisons stem from things such as major, income, looks, etc. etc. the list goes on. But how does Jesus view us? As equals. It is only fair that I do the same, and then execute judgment later.

Verse 9 goes on to say:

"What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."

Marriage is so sacred. See, this verse here is more shocking to the world today than back then. Divorce has become commonplace -- almost expected. But the Lord knows it is possible to work out our problems and to stay close to Him in working them out.

I was talking to Jace Nava the other day about verse 8 and the insights I had. He gave me his own thoughts too. He said that the wording used here in verse 8 is the same as the Lord uses when He talks about Zion, like in Moses 7:18:

"And the Lord called His people Zion, because they were of one heard and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness, and there was no poor among them."

Jace said, "isn't it interesting how the Lord describes Zion in the same was as marriage? Zion is such a huge process to get to, but it begins with two people."

A couple needs to be like this -- of one heart and one mind, especially dwelling in righteousness, and neither of them feeling poor: spiritually, physically, or in the amount of love and care they receive. Someone in a couple should not feel they are carrying the weight of the relationship on their shoulders, but should feel equally yoked. I believe this is becoming more and more of a problem today as men and women are beginning to feel entitled to more than the other for some reason.

I have an idea! Rather than a husband or wife waiting around to receive what they feel they deserve -- why not instead they do something unexpected and sweet for the other? They would not be caving in, it would actually come back to them 100 fold in gratitude and appreciation! And they would feel great doing it! So why don't we do it more often?

No comments:

Post a Comment