Friday, July 8, 2011

"Learning in the Priesthood" -- President Henry B. Eyring

President Eyring tells a story of an old High Priest who he went to visit. They sat for a while and reminisced about good times and their service in the priesthood. The old man asked:

"Why am I still living? Why am I still here? I can't do anything."

But President Eyring noted:

"He was lifting me with his faith and his love. Even in our short visit, he made me want to do better."

When I read that, it warmed my heart.

Going out each day into the world and showing much charity and giving much service is a wonderful thing. But those experiences also need to change us as people so that we can be the ones who inspire others to do better.

In turn, these are the people we need to surround ourselves with. Good friends that will lift us and support us in righteous causes.

But there are others who are not at a place in their lives where they are currently lifting and supporting -- but just need to be lifted and supported for a time by someone else. Here is where our service is especially needed.

I hope I can be better about lifting others and not just being in constant need to be lifted. As soon as we receive, we should turn around and give.

No comments:

Post a Comment