Saturday, August 6, 2011

"The Eternal Blessings of Marriage" -- Elder Richard G. Scott

This talk is so fabulous. I could underline every work and comment on every sentence. The world today, including the church, constantly needs to be reminded of the beauty in marriage, especially eternal marriage.

He talks about reaching out to your spouse. He says:

"Express gratitude for what your spouse does for you. Express that love and gratitude often. That will make life far richer and more pleasant and purposeful."

Then he shares how he showed love for his wife; by painting a valentine on the fridge, or taking hole punch holes and writing a message across them, or placing a message inside the glass of the kitchen clock saying, "Jeanene, it is time to tell you I love you."

Each of these gestures is so simple -- so why don't we do them more often? We don't have to be married to write sweet notes. A roommate, ward member, teacher, mother, father, sibling, would ALL appreciate a thoughtful note!


He also spends considerable time talking about those who are not yet married.

"If you are a young man of appropriate age and are not married, don't waste time in idle pursuits. Get on with life and focus on getting married. Don't coast through this period of life. Young men, serve a worthy mission. Then make your highest priority finding a worthy, eternal companion. When you find you are developing an interest in a young woman, show her that you are an exceptional person that she would find interesting to know better. Take her to places that are worthwhile. Show some ingenuity. If you want to have a wonderful wife, you need to have her see you as a wonderful man and prospective husband."


and to the sisters he says:

"my heart weeps for the sisters who haven't had the opportunity to marry. Some of you may feel lonely and unappreciated and cannot see how it will be possible for you to have the blessings of marriage and children or your own family. All things are possible to the Lord, and He keeps the promises He inspires His prophets to declare. Eternity is a long time. Have faith in those promises and live to be worthy of them so that in His time the Lord can make them come true in your life. With certainty, you will receive every promised blessing for which you are worthy."


When I read these two quotes, I think, "yes, the prophets and apostles are in tune with my generation and my situation" because this is spot on.

I have felt time and time again that maybe I will never get married, because I cannot seem to find the right man at the right time. And this discourages me and gets me wondering what is wrong with me. But I read this and remember that it is the Lord's will that I be married and raise a righteous family, and know He has so much in store for me that I do not yet understand.

But he says that we will receive each promised blessing for which we are worthy. What is the definition for worthy here? I believe, in this instance, that it is more than just keeping the commandments. I believe it is being willing to accept faults in other, to be selfless, to understand and to love someone else. Once these are worked on, then that "worthiness" is there and meaningful relationships can begin to develop.

I have many friends who are married and have beautiful families. To them I say -- cherish what you have. Take today to show your spouse how much you love them, and show patience to your children. To all my single friends, I say -- you are wonderful. Keep hanging in there. There is so much to learn and discover in single life that can strengthen a future family. So soak up every second while still being "worthy" of marriage. Some day your prince (or princess) will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment