Monday, June 20, 2011

"Establishing a Christ-Centered Home" -- Elder Richard J. Maynes


Establishing a Christ-centered home is a huge challenge today. There are so many external influences that are battling their way through the walls and threaten to weaken the structure and very foundation our families are build on.

Elder Maynes says:

"We learned that our children might not remember everything about the Family Home Evening lesson later in the week, but they would remember that we held it. We learned that later in the day at school they would probably not remember the exact words of the scriptures or the prayer, but they would remember that we did read scriptures and we did have prayer."

When I was in middle school, my mom would read me the scriptures as I ate my cereal at the kitchen table. My mind was probably wandering to the project I had due that day, or to the boy I had a crush on, or maybe that my cereal was getting stale. But my mom read to me EVERY morning, irregardless of what my mind was thinking about. And I don't know where we read or if I even gained a testimony of those words at that time -- but the Spirit was there, and I gained a testimony in the faith of my mother.

In high school, I woke up at 4:56am every morning for seminary. My mom would get out of bed and make my lunch EVERY DAY. In addition, we would say a kneeling prayer together in the dining room. An hour later, Kelly and Dad would do the same together. I am positive that I was zoned out most of those morning, even when I was saying the prayer. But I am thankful for parents who instituted an innovative family prayer system that fit our needs.


I know my family was not perfect in our scripture study and prayer and Family Home Evening. But the efforts that were made have not gone unnoticed by me. I will always carry those memories of my diligent and faithful parents with me, and hope their example will lead me to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment