Monday, June 6, 2011

"Followers of Christ" -- Elder Walter F. Gonzalez

There is one quote in particular in this talk that stands out to me:

"[Christ's] love for God was more powerful than any adversity or temptation"


This is just a really awesome angle to look at the times in our lives when we are tempted to do something wrong. We can first take it down to a more "local" level; such as a youth asking, "is my love for my parents more powerful than my desire to go to this party?" or a husband asking, "is my love for my wife more powerful than my desire to cheat?" Hopefully the answers to these would be yes.

Then we can ask ourselves the original question, "is my love for God more powerful than any adversity or temptation?" The answer here must be yes.

This yes takes a lot of faith -- the faith that our eternal rewards are more valuable than our temporal pleasures. But if we have that faith, and say "yes," we can overcome anything!


No comments:

Post a Comment