Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"Preparing the World for the Second Coming" -- Elder Neil L. Anderson


This talk was much about missionary service and made me think a lot about my own mission. Even though this talk is directed towards 12-25 year old priesthood holders (he says that right at the beginning), it can apply to all of us as we all need to spread the good news to others.

In relation to a full-time mission, he quotes Sid Going, former rugby player for the New Zealand All -Blacks Team:

"The blessings of [bringing others] into the gospel far outweighs anything [you] will ever sacrifice."

Elder Anderson also says:

"thousands...have not asked, 'What will I get from my mission?' but rather, 'What can I give?'"

That question is so beautiful. Sometimes I look back on my mission and wonder why I didn't serve in an exotic land and learn some crazy language and sometimes wonder why I am still single and still in school after being home for over 2 years. But that would be pondering about that I expected to GET from my mission, not remembering all the wonderful things I GAVE.

When I think about the things I gave, I realize that my mission was no waste of time. It was a period of intense hard work and long hours, and bitter cold weather. It was a time of selflessness of Christlike-ness; of caring and companionship. It was about getting out of my comfort zone to fulfill my calling. It was pure love.


And when I think about all I gave, I realize that I did, in fact, get so much in return. It was not the motivation, but the bi-product.

I will forever be grateful for my mission. I am glad I put in that effort and followed Christ's admonition in Matthew 28:19:

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

1 comment: